Surf ‘n Turf kebabs bring a touch of casual elegance to a braai and a bit of exoticism for the those who have a more adventurous palate. Paired with any of or Boland Cellar red or white wines, (we suggest the ConcoursMondial de Bruxelles gold winning Talent & Terroir Sauvignon Blanc 2017) we guarantee it will be a firm favourite.
Prep time: 30 min
400g Sirloin Steak (cut into cubes)
400g Calamari (cut into wide strips or cubes)
2 Large Lemons (cut into wedges)
Juice of 1 Lemon
2 Garlic Cloves
Handful of Fresh Parsley
Salt & Pepper
60ml Barbeque Sauce
Micro herbs to garnish (optional)
Your choice of vegetables, e.g. 2 peppers, 1 red onion or fruit (1 medium sized pineapple) to place in between the steak and calamari.
Braai stand and grill
1 4kg Bag of Coal
1 Pack of 200mm Bamboo Skewers
Prepare a braai with enough coals to cook the steak and calamari. Keep the braai grid and kebab skewers handy.
- Cut the steak into 3cm cubes. Slice the calamari into wide strips. Cut the lemons and vegetables into wedges.
- Put the calamari in a marinating bowl and set aside.
- MARINADE: Mix all the ingredients well and pour over the calamari. Mix to coat and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- TO FINISH: Thread a lemon wedge on a skewer, then a steak cube. Fold a calamari strip concertina-style and add to the skewer and your vegetable of choice. Repeat until the skewer is nearly full. Make the rest of the kebabs in the same way.
- Season with salt and pepper. Arrange on the grid and braai for a minute on each side.
- Brush liberally with the barbecue sauce and braai for another 1-2 minutes a side or until the steak is done to your liking and the calamari is no longer translucent.
- Garnish with micro herbs (if using) and serve hot.
Recipe sourced from Food24.com