With #DrinkChenin being a big focus in on the year calendar in June (15 June), why not add to your tasting experience and pair this versatile white varietal with something sweet.
Try this easy-to-make berry crostata (Italian pie) recipe paired with the Talent & Terroir Chenin Blanc, an excellent duo for social gatherings.
Prep Time: 15 Min
Baking Time: 50 Min
Serves: 10 pax
• 13/4 cups flour
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 x tsp baking powder
• 1 x whole egg
• 1 x egg yolk
• ½ cup + 2 x tbsp butter, softened
• ¾ cup berry (preferably blueberry) jam
• 500g berries
1. Whisk all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder) in a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the middle of the mixture.
2. Beat the egg, yolk and softened butter together and add to the hole in the dry mixture and turn/work in with the rest of the ingredients until a soft dough has formed.
3. Seal the dough in glad wrap and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes. After a few minutes, start to pre-heat the oven at 180°.
4. Remove the dough from the fridge and knead on a lightly floured surface until it has softened.
5. Roll out the dough to a ½ cm thickness. Grease a 20cm x 20xm round baking pan with butter and transfer the dough into the pan. Trim the pan of any extra dough.
6. Fill the pastry shell with jam.
7. Bake in a preheated oven (180°) for 30 to 35 minutes and until golden on the edges.
8. Remove from oven to cool.
9. After cooling, top the jam surface with enough fresh berries to fill the pie.
Wine Suggestion: Boland Cellar Talent & Terroir Chenin Blanc