Boland is one of South Africa’s leading wine cellars that over many decades earned the reputation of producing a range of top-quality and award-winning red wines, including some outstanding Pinotages. The awards are too many to list, but here are a few interesting facts and highlights of the achievements of the past six years of this proud and uniquely South African cultivar.
• The grapes of Boland’s premium Reserve Pinotage wines were planted more than 60 years ago and carefully selected from single vineyards. These handpicked grapes are ideally suited for optimal wine crafting … to learn more, visit Boland’s Tasting Notes on the Website at http://www.bolandcellar.co.za/images/wine/tasting_notes/bolandcellar_reserve/pinotage.pdf
• Boland’s Reserve Pinotage is described as follows in Boland’s Tasting Notes on the Website: “An expressive wine with ripe fruit flavours, showing the quintessential earthy varietal character most sought after by all producers of note. Attractive savoury undertones are in perfect harmony with the smooth oak tannins.”
• Boland’s Reserve No1 1999 Pinotage was one of only ten South African red wines to receive GOLD at the Air France Wine Awards.
• In 2011 at the Wine Magazine Pinotage Tasting, Boland’s Reserve No1 2009 Pinotage received a 4 ½ STAR rating.
• Boland’s Reserve No1 2011 Pinotage received DOUBLE GOLD in 2014 at the prestigious Michelangelo International Wine Awards.
• Boland’s Reserve No1 Pinotage 2012 was once again awarded GOLD at the prestigious 2015 International Michelangelo Wine Awards – one of 5 Boland wines receiving this prestigious global award! Cellar Master Johan Joubert beamed when the good news from Michelangelo broke. “These highly-rated International Michelangelo Awards for five of our prime cultivar wines confirm that Boland Cellar is indeed in a privileged position and geared for the challenges of the future. The ability to source grapes from our members who farm on various soil types with micro and macro climates that often differ completely gives us a competitive edge. I believe that this, combined with top class viticultural and vinicultural practices, enable our award-winning team of winemakers to achieve recognition at the highest level.”
• Boland Reserve No1 Pinotage is described as follows in Boland’s Tasting Notes on the Website: “An expressive wine with ripe fruit flavours, showing the quintessential earthy varietal character most sought after by all producers of note. Attractive savoury undertones are in perfect harmony with the smooth oak tannins.”
• Boland’s Five Climates Pinotage is described as follows in the Tasting Notes: “Bright red berries and banana, complemented by soft oak flavours.”
• The addition to the Boland Pinotage family and the ‘happening’ of Boland’s Cappupino ccinotage!
One could ask why this wine? The winemaker at the time of the launch of this now very popular Boland brand explained as follows:
“It was with interest that we followed the so-called Coffee Pinotage style as various brands made in this seductive style became available to consumers. While we could understand the reasons why this style was enjoyed by many consumers, including a great number of first-time red wine drinkers, we had some concern regarding the inherent ability of the wine to keep on being interesting to consumers.
In our view, too much wood in some cases was possibly overpowering the quintessional earthiness and sweet red berry flavours of Pinotage. Would it, therefore, be possible to make a seductive wine with the focus on softer mocha & ground coffee flavours, while retaining the inherent fruity attractiveness of the cultivar? We believe we got it right with Cappupino ccinotage. We promise that you will not grow tired of it.”
TV Advertisement: Join in the fun and watch the catchy TV advertisement of Boland’s Cappupino ccinotage on the Boland Website … or click on the YouTube link below.
YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqKGeFjZVbA
• Latest News – 10 December 2105:Boland’s Reserve No1 2012 Pinotage received a TOP RATING in the SA Uber Value Top SA Red Wines in 2015 under R100 (read more at … http://www.topwinesa.com/?p=5786 ) – one of only three wines under R100, and the best priced at an incredible R 77 per bottle directly from the Cellar. Order here at … http://www.bolandcellar.co.za/buy-now …!