With #DrinkChenin being a big focus in June (15 June), we recommend adding to your Chenin tasting experience and pairing the versatile white varietal with something sweet.
Try this easy-to-make berry crostata (Italian pie) recipe and match it with our Talent & Terroir Chenin Blanc, an excellent duo for social gatherings.
Baking Time: 50 Min
Serves: 10 people
• Just under 2 cups flour
• Half cup sugar
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 whole egg
• 1 extra egg yolk
• Half cup and another 2 tbsp butter, softened
• ¾ cup berry (preferably blueberry) jam
• 500g berries
1. Whisk all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder) in a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the middle of the mixture.
2. Beat the egg, yolk and softened butter together and add to the hole in the dry mixture and turn/work in with the rest of the ingredients until a soft dough has formed.
3. Seal the dough in glad wrap and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes. After a few minutes, start to pre-heat the oven at 180°.
4. Remove the dough from the fridge and knead on a lightly floured surface until it has softened.
5. Roll out the dough to a ½ cm thickness. Grease a 20cm x 20xm round baking pan with butter and transfer the dough into the pan. Trim the pan of any extra dough.
6. Fill the pastry shell with jam.
7. Bake in a preheated oven (180°) for 30 to 35 minutes and until golden on the edges.
8. Remove from oven to cool.
9. After cooling, top the jam surface with enough fresh berries to fill the pie.
Wine Suggestion: Boland Cellar Talent & Terroir Chenin Blanc